Monday, July 27, 2020

Four Years Ago

Vote by mail.
It leaves a paper trail.

I posted this four years ago today, on my facebook profile:

________________________________________

Shared from a facebook friend who wishes to remain anonymous. " Inspired by a comment in the @NYTimes : When I returned to college in my 60's I wrote a paper on the women's suffrage movement in the U.S. Women haven't had the vote for very long and for lot of us, our grandmothers couldn't vote until they were middle aged.
I was among those who didn't find Clinton an ideal candidate, while committed to stopping Trump.
So I was surprised when the nomination became official to find myself sobbing. That long history just swept over me, and the many times that I've blamed myself for failures (what's wrong with me?) only to realize years later that I had been discriminated against because of my gender.
Clinton did not have to persist. She has soldiered on through unbelievable opposition and a campaign of slander that may be unprecedented in American history. which is full of nasty politics. For all those people who think this is no big deal, I say look at the long list of laws that are in danger of being dismissed, laws against discrimination, for clean air and water, laws almost everything that benefits all of us and not just the 1%. Think of who will will be the next Supreme Court judge and how many "Citizens United" laws could be passed if Trump wins. For those who lived through the "greed is good" era, just think about how that turned out. I think the stakes are higher than in any election held in the last 80 or so years. We are in extreme danger of having a dictatorship; the Republicans haven't been tinkering with the ballot boxes for the last decade for the pleasure of playing with electronic toys."

Blog Archive