Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Thinking and Feeling

Could not sleep. Awoke way too early.

Names of people I have never met flood my thoughts.

George Floyd, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Freddie Gray, Michael Brown, too many more people who have been taken from their families too soon.

Sandra Bland.

Thinking about this moment in America and the world's history.

War, poverty, homelessness.
How can we call ourselves "civilized" when we value money over a life, when we use our power to destroy, when we fail to use our voices to speak against injustice?

Feeling that this is that moment of epiphany or self destruction.

Newsfeed.

Minneapolis. 

Sitting in the dark, typing with my thumbs on my phone, hearing the soft shuffle of my husband's footsteps. Hope he will go back to sleep without worrying about my late night/early morning blogging.

A tear falls down my cheek, and I cannot figure out whether or not it is a tear of gratitude for this love and this life or a tear of grief for all the suffering in this world.

I decide that at this moment, I do not have to know, and just let the tears flow. 

Ox,
Mari











Blog Archive