Thursday, February 28, 2019

When Something Is Wrong With My Baby

Hey Everybody!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Grammar nerds, please forgive me for the errors I am about to achieve in this note.
Since I don't have any new tunes to release at the moment, I've decided to review all my previously recorded material, starting with that album we released in 2010.
We released the album around the same time we received a letter from the DPW about that dreaded and illegal creek polluting sidewalk disguised as a,"safer route," which kind of pulled the rug out from under me for a bit. That was followed by a few more of life's odd turns and detours, subtly referenced elsewhere in this blog and other places I post to social media. You may or may not have followed the story or stories during that time/those times, as I am sure you probably were dealing with the twists and turns of your own life.

Anyway, last Thursday, as you may or may not know, was my brother's birthday. It would have been his 62nd year on this earth. I shared that song last week:
http://www.marimackmusic.com/2019/02/my-brothers-smile.html

As fate would have it, he only had 22 years and 8 months with us and we didn't get to see him at all during eighteen of those months. There are many reasons why his journey ended in such a way, and I have spent many hours - years, actually -- trying to figure out why. I chose to tell my story through a song, because for some experiences, words are inadequate; we need music.

When I finally had the courage and the opportunity to write the song and then record it, I thought it would perhaps help open up some conversations about suicide and how our society treats people of limited means. But then I remembered that suicide affects people from all walks of life, so I had to let go of any preconceived notions about the song and just let it be what it was going to be. Such is the case with a song and/or a piece of art. You create it for one purpose, and it serves another purpose for whoever else happens to experience it.

Reactions to this particular song with no marketing and only a couple of performances were well received yet mixed, from family members who wanted me to change lyrics to folks from the old neighborhood who could not talk to me anymore because the memories hurt too much. Add a directive from a band member or two that we really couldn't perform the song at most of our gigs because "people just want to dance" and well, you can figure out why not many people have heard it yet.

So, since that was the last song on the album, I have decided to just start here, at this moment, and work my way backward to the first track.
As soon as I am able, I would like to make a video for this song, but until we manage to make that happen, here is a simple video made by my distributor:
https://youtu.be/nMcZQtWwz1Y

As always, I wish you love and I wish you enough.

That is all, for now.

Ox,
Mari

p.s. you may listen to the song and any others on Spotify. There is a new artist named "Mari Mack" which is causing some confusion. I have to look into that. Thanks for your support and your patience!





Blog Archive